Wednesday, October 16, 2013

America's Love of Fast Food

If you have health problems and you eat fast food frequently, you have identified the main problem.  In my post on Cooking, I explained how cooking whole foods was the solution to poor health brought on by America's obsession with pre-packaged meals. The same could be said for poor health brought on by America's obsession with Fast Food. Here could be some reasons why we indulge in Fast Food, and how to counter them.

Fast Food is Bad:
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but french fries, deep fat fried mystery meat, and sugary drinks cause inflammation and intense cravings. Fast food is not a good "cheat" for Candida, nor for anyone wanting to overcome any kind of disease state. With that being said, I also want to admit that in the past Mcdonalds' was one of my favorite restaurants, and there was more to the allure than the tasty deep fat fried junk.

But They offer Wifi: 
Because I am Generation Y, Mcdonalds has appealed to my Generation for a number of reasons. One is they offer free wifi. In the time before I had internet, I was almost completely reliant on Mcdonalds to check my email, pay bills, and surf. Out of obligation and respect, I always bought something, either a sugary coffee or lunch, and I paid for it with my health.

The solution to my need for internet was moving in with my IT boyfriend and enjoying his elaborate internet network at home. Some of you, however, may not have that option. So my first recommendation is to find other places with free internet. Check your college, local library, and coffee shops for wifi options. Make a habit of eating a healthy breakfast or lunch at home before you go out to any of these establishments. If you choose coffee shops, look for locally owned coffee shops. They often have healthier low-sugar coffee and tea options, fresh fruit and vegetable juices, and are more welcoming of wifi campers than chain coffee shops. If you do end up in a bind where the only place that is open is Mcdonalds, or you go there on a whim, try to keep it healthy by ordering a black coffee or sugarless tea.

And You're a News Junkie:
I have always been a news junkie, and Mcdonald's appealed to me because I could watch Fox, and sometimes CNN, depending on the location. My advice to anyone who does that is to either break down and buy cable, or to search for news on the internet. All the media outlets offer highlights, articles, and news clips on their websites for free and many others offer subscriptions to news channels at reduced rates.Unsurprisingly, youtube is also another great place to scavange news. Many gyms also offer television with subtitles, so you can catch up while you are on the eliptical.

But It's so Convenient and Cheap:
Because I am Gen Y, I am also on a budget, as is most of America. The allure of fast food is that it is obviously fast, and cheap too. You'd be surprised, however, that it is just as cheap to eat at home. If you cook plain oatmeal in a rice cooker and cut up an apple, you are paying about the same or less as you wouldfor a small fry and burger. Healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, simple salads, sandwiches, and yogurt are all convenient choices. Simple dinners like baked chicken breasts or fish and steamed vegetables are easy and quick. Set the timer on your oven to help you multi-task while you are baking meat. Heat up leftovers in a hurry, and pack food in a small cooler if you drive a lot. Carry a water bottle or tea/coffee thermos with you everywhere. If you do end up in a bind and need to eat fast food, pick places like Subway or Qdoba, or local sandwich/burrito shops that have healthier options. Order small servings and opt for sugarless tea instead of soda. Keep a calendar of how  often you hit up fast food and try to reduce the number over time. Sometimes awareness alone will help you transition away from it.

 #Sugar #Candida #Yeast

No comments:

Post a Comment