Friday, November 15, 2013

Homemade Pico de Gallo instead of Salsa in a Jar

When I first started avoiding pre-packaged foods, I found obstacles trying to find alternatives to the foods I loved.  One of those foods was Salsa.  It wasn't until a friend handed me her recipe for Pico De Gallo that I found hope.

Pico De Gallo:
Mix together
1/2 onion diced
1-2 Peppers of any color Diced
4-5 Fresh Tomatoes Diced
3 Cloves Garlic Minced
1/2 of a bundle of Cilantro (remove the leaves and chop them up finely or use a food processor)
Squeeze of Lime Juice from 1/2 of a lime
Pinch of Salt


This recipe is a very quick and cheap alternative to Salsa, and utilizes uncooked raw foods. The ingredients, like onions and garlic, have natural antifungal properties specific for Candida.  Fresh squeezed lime juice (and lemon juice) balances blood sugar and Cilantro is packed full of vitamins and antioxidants to boost immunity (1).


I used to buy Blue Corn Tortilla Chips to go with my homemade Pico, but have discovered recently that Cucumber slices are a great atlernative for dipping. 


1) http://www.livestrong.com/article/464325-what-are-the-benefits-of-parsley-cilantro/

No comments:

Post a Comment